Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Festival Feeling

For the past five years, I have taken a week of vacation before the festival. I find it very difficult to focus on anything other than the Festival at this time, and my co-workers grow very tired of my endless chatter discussing what is going on with the Festival. My waking moments during this week are all about what to take there, what`s going on there, who is there, how can I help there, and generally just not wanting to miss any part of the moment.

It`s a wonderful place to be - watching a farmer`s field turn into a festival site. You can hear the chatter of volunteers in the hospitality area where dishes are being washed, food is being prepared, and some folks are actually taking a moment to stop and rest. Up at the barn stage, more volunteers are scurrying about tidying and getting ready for the sound system to be moved in, people are setting up their tents on the hill, the lawnmower is buzzing around, and on and on. All are working with a smile on their face, and you can see the excited anticipation in their faces - we all know what we are doing, and are so happy to be preparing it for the community to enjoy.

Today, I'm heading into town to pick up food supplies to make mac & cheese and vegetarian shepherd's pie for the folk festival volunteers. This is the first time I've tackled this task, but as I have learned over the past five years, nothing is impossible. I've seen a farmer's field turn into a Folk Festival that has been loved and enjoyed by everyone. And that is one of the magical lessons learned by everyone who has volunteered or attended the Shelter Valley Folk Festival.

1 comment:

xarmyboy said...

Enjoy the experience Barb